Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Final Countdown

Tune of the Moment: Theo Bleckmann singing "An Den Kleinen Radioapparat" from his album "Berlin: Songs of Love and War, Peace and Exile".

Theo is an innovator. Theo is a mentor. Theo is a fashionista. Theo is a singer. Theo is an artist. Theo is a rockstar.

These are just a few of my feelings after seeing Theo perform at Symphony Space in NYC last night. His latest project sees him tackling the music of Kate Bush. His next album "Hello Earth!" is being recorded this weekend, as we speak, the excitement is palpable! And his gig last night showcased the material from this upcoming album. It was (he is) simply sublime and my awe for "T. Whisp." was reinforced.

What I love about Theo is his ability to take chances and bathe, contentedly, in the resulting euphoria that occurs when they pay off. He is very smart, which is why his creative chutzpah pretty much always stuns and sparkles. It's very difficult to put into words what a Theo-gig is like. His appearance is always going to be delicious-jackets with colourful, patterned linings, deconstructed blazers missing pockets and seams, jewel-toned shoes, brightly coloured shirts. His voice is boldly mellifluous and the use of his entire range, from his silky falsetto down to his throaty baritone is swooping, transportative and mesmerizing. Find out more about him on his website http://theobleckmann.com/ And here's a vid:


I don't have much to say about food today. The prospect of homework is thought-consuming and I'm still jetlagged (I mean, who wakes up at 7am on a saturday morning?!). Perhaps I should go back to sleep. Or maybe I should tackle my chromatic harmonization of a standard (I know, it makes you feel a little nauseous). Or maybe I'll post another video of Theo and go and eat some vegan chocolate:



And I should mention that the title of this post refers to the last couple months of school. Graduation is a mere hop, skip and a jump away (or a mere chromatic tome, 90 minute recital and a big band arrangement away).


No comments:

Post a Comment