Wednesday, May 25, 2011

New York City: A Foo-topia (Part 2)

Tune of the Moment: "Albert and Joey" from Adrian Sutton's astounding score for the National Theater's production of "War Horse". What can I possibly say about this music other than to command you to buy it immediately and feed your soul with pure beauty!

"War Horse" is a theater production based on the children's novel of the same name by Michael Morpurgo. The play uses full-size puppets and actors to tell the story of a young boy, his horse and the effects of WW1 on their lives. It is nearly impossible to sum up, in words, how magnificent this production is and how proud I am of the accomplishments of the South African Handspring Puppet Company (who are receiving a special Tony Award for their achievements on June 12th!) whose involvement in the production is pivotal to its great success. Here's the "trailer" for the production:


To further feed the whole Proudly South African shtick, I just found out that Adrian Sutton, although English by birth, grew up in Zimbabwe and South Africa. Ek is baie trots. I have to explain why I am so obsessed with his War Horse score-without giving anything of the play away. The opening scene is simply a foal walking around the circumference of the stage. It is the first audience-sighting of the puppet and its life-like qualities are immediately stunning and emotionally engaging. This visual is paired with Adrian's whimsical music and the combination is completely compelling and moving. His score is also so very British-in the best possible way. It seems to pay homage to icons like Vaughan Williams while remaining original and distinctive. Here is a video of The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra playing Adrian Sutton's War Horse Suite:



And, just to really convince you all I've become an equine-obsessive, here's a last clip from the play that pairs the beautiful puppet work with the score:


Back to the food. I promised you a run-down of Le Pain Quotidien (incidentally a British franchise that has jumped the pond to the USA). I love LPQ because of its decor and atmosphere. I'd be lying if I said it was because of the food. The food is good-some meals better than others-but it's the warmth of the soft lighting, the Provencal wooden tables and paneling, and the high ceilings that really get my goose....yes, I used that expression bestowed unto me by my mum....we really do become our mothers....oi va voy. However, I won't knock its breakfast spread-beautiful and delicious pastries (good muffins), great oatmeal (they had a farro porridge special once that was happiness in a bowl), and decent frittatas. My biggest gripe with LPQ is that they will not toast their bread and, I'm afraid, it's in need of a good toasting! I don't think they even own toasting machines-they're above it but, sadly, their bread is not. And I know for a fact I am not alone in this opinion. Anyway, if you go there for lunch, order this:

Quinoa and green salad with a massive artichoke...

Tuscan bean salad with a side of prosciutto...

Tomato Gazpacho-which surfaces every summer and is really, truly superb.

If, like my father, you find LPQ's offerings too bitsy and unsatisfying, be sure to chase the meal with desserts from Mario Batali's Eataly.


And, having done double-blog duty today to make up for my long absence, I'm done. Eat yourself silly as summer finally graces us with its presence. And, once you've finished your fill of avocados and such, listen to something that deeply touches your soul and sends you to sleep with a smile on your face. It could be this...


Bless you, Peggy Lee...

Or this...
Randy AND The King's Singers?! Too cool

Or this...

Never heard it in French-pretty awesome.

Or this (last one, I promise!)...



Happy flying.










No comments:

Post a Comment