Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sundays Swimming in South African Pride (& Vegetables)

Tune of the Moment: "Hlompha Bophelo" by Tutu Puoane from her album "Quiet Now".


Tutu is a South African singer who, after studying at my alma mater, the University of Cape Town, moved to Belgium to further study jazz. Our paths didn't cross in South Africa but since I've moved to NYC, we've communicated frequently on Facebook, managed to meet up on visits to Cape Town, and she's fast become a mentor and source of constant inspiration.


I spend a lot of time thinking about those of us who move away from home-whether for a short amount of time or permanently-and what the consequences are, if any, and how it ultimately shapes us as people. To leave one's comfort zone is a massive undertaking and challenge, and while it may seem like the proverbial grass is always greener elsewhere, those of us who have made the move know this to be fiction and not fact. This is especially true if one's home-nest is South Africa-a place of overwhelming natural beauty, inspiring people and a nation that is growing, learning and sparkling daily. So, here is a video of the Tutu Puoane Quartet featuring Ewout Pierreux, Nic Thys and Lieven Venken, playing Tutu and Ewout's composition, "Mpho", named after their adorable daughter.



You can find out more info about Tutu at http://www.tutupuoane.info/home.html

Onto the edible stuff... It's now been a month since I committed to being a pescetarian. I eat fish but no other animals. This change came about after reading Jonathan Safran Foer's book "Eating Animals" as well as other literature that pushed this already teetering non-meat-eater over the brink. Anyway, I've received basket-loads of teasing from my fellow beer-drinking, burger-chomping classmates (they all think it's a passing fad) and, as a true Leo, I see this as a challenge and it will only drive me further down the road to fish-eating bliss. Watch this space...

As spring is springing (tomorrow it could cloud up and rain torrents so I don't want to say that spring has sprung), the tendency is to say goodbye to soups and hot bowls of deliciousness (my freezer is currently sans its supply of Zabar's vegetable soup-boo). I've been frequenting some of my favourite places and enjoying being reminded of why I love them so. The first establishment is Angelica Kitchen in the East Village. When I was interning over last summer, I often darted into the vegan haven for a bowl of dashi broth ladled over earthy soba noodles. Or I'd satisfy all my senses by inhaling a cup of their miso soup (far superior to most in my opinion) followed by their "Thai Me Up" salad (strands of raw daikon radish, butternut and carrot over lemon kale). 

So, with happiness in my heart, I found myself in the 'hood over this past weekend and ordered another favourite of mine-quinoa, amaranth and rice mix with steamed kale, savoy cabbage, turnips, parsnips and sweet poatato, all doused in their raw Thai tahini sauce. Simple, steamed vegetables, with lashings of fresh flavours is the ultimate "temple" food, i.e. good food that does good things for you.



On the other end of the spectrum, I haven't eaten a bagel in the longest time possible-seriously, a good two or more months! I had a conversation with a real New Yorker (born and bred-a rare find!) last night, Miss Strapless Dress, and she asked me if I considered myself to be a true Manhattanite now that I'd (nearly) finished studying in the city. I told her I would NEVER offend her by saying that I considered myself to have achieved this precious status. And, in fact, I definitely don't feel anywhere near to becoming a Yankee-toting, lady-cursing, taxi-hollering, authentic New Yaawker... yet. I can but aspire :)

So, to help my cause, I greeted the day by leaving my apartment in sweats, an over-sized hoodie, flip flops and a messy ponytail to visit my local Lenny's and order a toasted H&H whole wheat bagel laden with low fat cream cheese, smoked salmon, tomato and red onion. It. Was. Totally. Awesome. And, what's more, it made me feel one step closer to joining Miss Strapless Dress's superior pedigree.



In other musical news, my final graduation recital is this coming thursday, 12th May, 5pm-6:30pm at Manhattan School of Music, Myers Studio. It's the culmination of the past two years spent in the Masters program at MSM and I'd love to share the experience with as many people as possible so please come along! It's free too...never a bad thing. Graduation is the following day, friday 13th, and, no doubt, there'll be celebratory meals for weeks to come. My mother and sister are also coming to visit me in the grand US of A so check back soon for culinary geeking out and an interview with my older, wiser, ice cream-obsessed sibling. I'm going to leave you with a track from South African guitarist and composer, Tony Cox. I love Tony's aesthetic, music and the way his songs make me yearn for biltong, Cape sunsets, dust roads and Marcel's Frozen Yogurt.


"Kierboom" by Tonx Cox

And more! I'm on a roll... Freshlyground is one of South Africa's proudest musical products. The MTV Award-winning group has played around the world, shared the FIFA World Cup theme song with Shakira (her hips don't lie), and they continue to endear themselves to Saffers near and far. Love, love, love them and nothing puts me in a better mood than hearing lead singer Zolani Mahola's unique voice interspersed with the sounds of Julio Sigauque's delicate guitar lines. Proudly SA all the waaaaaay.





No comments:

Post a Comment