Tuesday, June 14, 2011

R&R in Slaapstad

Tune of the moment: "Only A Dream in Rio" by James Taylor, ole JT, or "he who makes singing look so darn easy." I do love James Taylor. Real, true love. The kind of love that is reserved for genius. He crafts a song the way Otto Lenghi concocts a vegetable dish that just screams brilliance.



I've been back in Cape Town for under a week and am well ensconced in all things edible, fresh and exciting. South African produce is just so wholesome and vibrant. It's not that it's all local either-SA imports as much as the next country-but the context just makes everything seem that much sweeter, better and yummier. Maybe it's because the air is so clean and CPT is awash in green during the winter months. It's so energising and soul-salvaging.

I've also been lucky enough to, once again, partake in my mum's culinary triumphs. My first supper at home was a family affair boasting cranberry-roasted yellowtail fish (a South African fish), sugared parsnips (they're dipped in egg, flour and sugar and then roasted to sweet, crisp perfection), not one but TWO green salads (a simple bowl of watercress and rocket tossed with baby mozzarella and walnut oil, and a broccolini, green bean, pumpkin seed, mange tout concoction) and, of course, about four desserts (lemon pistachio cake, chocolate torte, slices of mango and pineapple, a bowl of strawberries, my sister's homemade lemon/dark chocolate ice cream).


Last night's supper-a slightly rushed occasion since we went off to hear jazz- was no less impressive even though it was for three people versus eight. There was a fish stir fry, grilled eggplant (grown and picked from our farm), brown rice dressed up with some fried onion and a nob of butter, and roasted vegetables. Life is good here. Very good.


I've also adored using a well-stocked, spacious kitchen that boasts counter tops AND a draw for the cutlery. Returning to my galley-style NYC kitchen will be a challenge...and I've already made lists of ingredients I need to purchase (soba noodles, tahini, ponzu)-where, pray tell, will I put these items?! However, I shouldn't be such a wimp since I recently visited my friends Lohr and Violinista who have a quaint (read: small ish) kitchen yet I was force fed (ok, fine, I was a willing taster!) David Lebovitz salted choc chip cookies...made in said quaint kitchen. I promise that once I've returned to the Humid Big Apple I will get creative and manage to souffle, grill, whisk and flip all from the safety of my galley kitchen.


And gosh knows I've been inspired. My "go-to" gift for my mum, aunt, cousin, etc was Heidi Swanson's kick-ass new book "Super Natural Every Day". Recipes for broccoli pesto, quinoa salads, millet porridge, baked blueberry oat pots, rye soda bread and more have sent me into a very happy mental food coma. I am in lurve. If you can't buy her book, her blog is amamamamamazingness and makes for good reading while chomping on a piece of almond butter-covered pumpernickel toast. Reading her fabulous recipes has also reminded me of things I love to eat but have not munched in a while due to transitioning (that is my word for the next year) from student-life to "real" life, moving apartments, etc.


I once embarked on Patrick Holford's liver detox-a really great detox if you're looking for one. The detox called for a daily dose of "greens". This involved taking a handful of parsley, basil, coriander (cilantro for the Americans), watercress, rocket, basically any green herbs you liked, shoving them into a blender, adding some olive oil, lemon juice and whizzing it up until it was a desired consistency. Basically a parmesan-free pesto. You would then add this to bean stews, grilled salmon, rice, etc. and feel like a green goddess. You could add in things like sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, orange zest, etc or avocado. And this is how I discovered "avocado cream". I actually liked the "green" emulsion-it was fresh, zesty and merely knowing how good it was made me feel virtuous...and smug....but more virtuous. So, when I've tired of eating avocado mushed up on toast, or sliced up in salads, I make a cream out of it and dollop it on rice or spread it on a corn cake. It's very rich but satisfying and the basil adds a sweetness that is terribly moreish.


Avocado Cream

-1 avocado
- a handful of basil
-a splash of mirin
-a sprinkle of salt

1. Blend all the above ingredients in a food processor, taste to check the seasoning, and eat.


On top of Monday's lunch: Brown basmati rice, Morrocan chickpeas, wilted spinach, coriander. 







No comments:

Post a Comment